Thursday, April 2, 2009

I am proud of myself!!

Today I am being inducted into the Alpha Kappa Delta honor society. To be honest, I was not really too excited about it when I learned that I was eligible. I think it is because I did not stop to think about it critically. But then I realized that it is a recognition of how how hard I have worked and I deserve it.

I do not understand why it is so hard to allow myself to accept accolades and credit for a job well-done when I am always eager to accept negativity and harsh criticism. I am always striving to do the best I can, but when I am faced with the realization that I have done well, it is uncomfortable.

This morning my aunt called to congratulate me on the induction. I was surprised because I really did not believe that this was a big deal. But hearing how excited she was about it and hearing her say how proud she is of me, and her telling me how excited my parents are, really opened my eyes to the fact it may not be the Nobel Prize, but it is something special. I have been going to college for more than five-years now and it has been a tough road. Any little milestone is important and I have start enjoying this ride.

So today, I am going to allow myself to celebrate me a little. My parents are coming to attend the induction, and I am going to enjoy this day. I am going to walk around with my head up high today and be proud of myself. If my family can be proud of me, then why can't I?

I am going to begin my day-long celebration with a celebratory breakfast of cookies and brownies. One of the greatest things about having accomplishments in adulthood, is that I get to celebrate and eat junk-food for breakfast if I want to! Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment